You can pray for me as I (and my family!) deal with my sciatic nerve pain this pregnancy. Thank you so much! I thought I would list some things that are helping me so far.
Remember I’m not a health care professional, so don’t take my word for it! Ask them what is best. Here we go:
Tips on how to relieve back pain (sciatica):
- Put a pillow between your knees while you are sleeping. If you are like me and move around a lot during the night, you can try to squeeze it with your knees and roll over with it to your other side.
- If you sleep on your back, put a pillow under your knees.
- When you wake up, you can take the pillow out from under your head and lay on your back for a minute. You can even try to press the small of your back down.
- Go to a reputable chiropractor. (Ask your doctor or friends who they recommend)
- Take vitamin B1
- Ice it; don’t use heat
- If your physical therapist does heat, ask them to do it before they work on you, not afterwords.
- Don’t walk too fast.
- Let your family shop at big stores for you.
- Looooong pillow — Hug it and put it between your knees when you rest or sleep.
- Avoid sitting much
- Put your feet on a stool while sitting down
- Sit on a pillow
- Work on posture
- Use a maternity belt
- Do stretches, exercises, walk in a swimming pool (but this can make it worse if you are still sensitive)
- Lay on your bed on your back and move your feet in the air like you’re riding a bicycle.
- Don’t wear high heels
- Wear arch supports in shoes
- Sit upside down with your knees and feet on the couch, back on the floor
- Do the pelvic rock exercise on your hands and knees
You might also be interested in: