Nothing can beat the excitement and adventure of a road trip, particularly if you have friends and family to keep you company.
But, no matter how picturesque the road or how amazing the weather, at one point, people run out of conversations. And, that’s when the journey goes from being fun to being arduous!
Also, silence can be dangerous on a road trip
The worst part is that the silence coupled with the constant zooming of milestones or even light poles lulls most passengers to sleep.
Unfortunately, a car packed with snoozing loved ones and the monotony of the silent journey can quickly turn into a soporific trap for most motorists. And we all know what happens when the driver dozes off behind the wheel.
Also, who wants to be a part of a boring road trip?
Even if everybody is wide awake, the silence can be both boring and awkward; not to mention what’s the point of going on a road trip if you are not going to chat away like there is no tomorrow.
Another thing to consider is that a road trip provides the perfect opportunity for conversation, which may not otherwise be available due to the hectic and uncoordinated schedules of all family members.
This brings us right back to our original problem:
- What do you do once you run out of topics to talk about? And,
- How do you get everybody involved in the conversation?
The answer to those questions lies in “questions” of course! Actually, that’s – Road trip conversation questions.
But, if you have trouble thinking up questions on the spot, fret, not!
For what I have here for you is the mother load of road trip questions for people of all ages and for all conversation types.
Keep this list handy and I promise you will never want for quality conversations while in the car.
Road Trip Questions For Friends – Keep The Chitchat Flowing!
- As a kid, what future career had you chosen for yourself, and why?
- What was the most embarrassing moment from when you were a kid?
- What remains the best meal of your life ever?
- If you are to be marooned on an island for a year, what 3 things will you take along?
- Zombies are about to invade your town and you can take only 3 things from your home with you, what would they be and why?
- Who are the 2 people in the world or in your life who have influenced you the most, and how?
- What was the one thing you really wanted to own in your teen years, and why?
- What is your guilty pleasure?
- What is that virtue which gets you in trouble and the vice/bad habit that always helps you?
- If you can choose to be an expert on anything/any subject under the sun, what would you choose and why?
- What is the craziest thing you have done when drunk?
- What is that one crazy/funny thing about you that we don’t know?
- If you were to choose an element (water, fire, earth, sky, air) that you are connected to, which one would you pick and why?
- If you could meet one famous person (living or dead), who would that be and why?
- What advice would you give your 20 year old self?
- If you can go back to the academy of life, what is the one skill/talent/subject that you’d want to master?
- You are given $10,000 right now in hard cash but only have 15 minutes to spend it, what would you buy?
- If given a choice between $100,000 right now with no work, or $1 million in a month after a lot of hard work, which one would you choose and why?
- You can choose one celebrity to have dinner with tonight, who will you pick and why?
- What’s the one thing that you love about yourself and what’s the one thing that you hate about yourself?
- When the last time you felt truly at peace, and what was induced that feeling?
- Who qualities make a hero, and who is your hero?
- What is your personal mantra for survival in life and who did you learn it from?
- Apart from the internet and the cell phone, what do you think has been the biggest invention of the century?
- What was the one time in your life when you felt blessed or felt gratitude, and what made you feel that way?
- If you are asked to write your eulogy, what would you say about yourself and your life?
- If you are allowed to rewrite history, what would be the two historical events that you would change and how/why?
- Who was your high school crush and what made you like him/her?
- What is your favorite TV show right now and why?
- What was the most impactful book/article that you read or movie that you watched?
Road Trip Conversation Questions – Get Everyone To Talk And Share
- You are allowed to change two things about your personality or the person that you are, what would you change and why?
- What personality traits do you like the most in a person or in man/woman?
- What is the one behavior you absolutely cannot stand, and how did you react the last time you witnessed it?
- What do you think was a turning-point event of this decade?
- What is the one thing that you love about your life?
- If you could, what would you change about yourself/your life?
- What is the one childhood memory that still makes you smile?
- Do you believe in afterlife, past life, ghosts, souls? If yes, why and if no, why?
- Have you ever had an experience that can be called paranormal or at least cannot be described as ordinary?
- If you could develop the ability to communicate with any one animal, which animal would you choose and why?
- Describe yourself in 3 words, and explain your choice of words?
- What would be your dream vacation?
- What is your one favorite place in the world (whether you have visited it or not)?
- If money is not an object, and you can spend your life in any part of the world, which place will you choose?
- What according to you expresses love the best – Gifts, quality time spent together, physical touch, words of love, actions, and why?
- What is the worst hurt/injury you have suffered (physical not emotional)
- If you are allowed to only have 5 items in your bucket list, what would they be and why?
- What are the top 3 items in your bucket list for this year/decade?
- Do you have a morning routine, and what is it?
- If you do cultivate the ability to be an early riser, what would be your ideal morning routine?
- Marvel vs. DC universe, who has the best superheroes and why?
- If you could have superhuman powers, which ones would you choose and why?
- Superman vs. batman, you could be either for a week, who will you choose and why?
- What was the best vacation you have been on so far and why do you term it the best?
- Beach vs. mountains vs. forests, take your pick and explain?
- What are two adventure sports that you want to try?
- When was the last time, you stood up for someone else or acted bravely?
- Who are/were you closer to, your mom or your dad, and why?
- Have you taken after your mom or your dad?
- What is the most impulsive thing you have done in your life?
Road Trip Questions For Family – The Journey Will Be As Memorable As Time At The Destination
- If you were asked to say one good thing about every person in this car, which describes him/her the best, what would you say about each of us?
- Who was daddy’s favorite kid according to you and what made you feel so? (Works very well among siblings).
- What is the funniest incident that you remember from a vacation that we took together when we were kids?
- What is the one thing that you have done, which makes you proud of yourself?
- If you are allowed to trade places with Marty (Back to the Future), would you go to the past or the future and why?
- If you are allowed a date with one person from the past or the present, who would you pick and why?
- You are allowed to call one non-living personality (president, world leader, celebrity, etc) for a one-to-one conversation, who would you choose and what would you ask him/her?
- If your pet could talk, what do you think he’d say about you?
- What three factors should be there for love to happen and continue to exist, according to you?
- You can build a home as you’ve always dreamt of, what will it look like and where will it be?
- What is the one thing that you really want to include in your daily routine and one thing that you want to take out?
- What work of art (movie, song, painting, book, and sculpture) has really moved you?
- What are your three all-time favorite movies?
- Which was that one song you could not stop listening to and what was the last time you listened to it?
- What according to you is the perfect date?
- If you could go invisible at will, what are the first 3 things you’d do?
- Is money the source of happiness, explain your answer?
- If you are made president for a month, what 5 executive orders will you pass?
- How would you do parenting differently than what your parents did?
- What is different in your life today as compared to your life 5 years ago?
- What is the one life goal and one career goal that you really want to achieve?
- What is the one incident of silly sibling rivalry/competition that you remember?
- What is the one funny thing that your sibling did, which you still remember?
- What are your 3 favorite sounds?
- What would you like to be remembered for?
- If you are allowed to change one thing in the world, what would that be and why?
- What do you think is the magic figure (in terms of money) that’s needed to be happy in life?
- As a kid, what was the one thing you were looking forward to doing when you grew up; the one that made you want to grow up quickly?
- What is your favorite chick flick/rom com and why (the question is for guys as well as gals)?
- What movie releases are you waiting for and why?
Fun Road Trip Questions For Adults – For PG-18 Banter
- Skinny dipping, mile high club or sex in a public place, which one have you tried already or would like to try?
- Do you believe in love at first sight, if yes why, and if no, why?
- One night stand to “In love for ever n more”, is it possible or not, explain your answer?
- If you are given the chance/don’t have to worry about the repercussions, what is the one scandalous/risqué thing that you’d do?
- You are allowed a cheat night (everything goes) with one celebrity, who will you choose?
- One celebrity for whom you’d change your sexual orientation?
- What is the funniest thing that has happened with you when trying to woo a man/woman
- If your partner allows you to indulge in role-play, what role will you pick for yourself and for your partner?
- Your first kiss, how did it happen and with whom?
- You have to choose between sex and the internet, which one will you pick and why?
- What’s the most attractive feature of a man/woman according to you?
- What was the thought that ran through your mind when you saw your partner for the very first time?
- What was the weirdest place that you have spent the night in?
- What is a funny bedroom experience/incident your own or one that you have heard of?
- What was the last dirty joke you heard? Of course you have to tell us!
- Do you have any tattoos, weird scars/body marks or physical features, tell us about them?
- Tattoos or jewelry for intimate areas, what are your thoughts on them?
- What is your dream set up for a night of romance and love making?
- What is a turn on for you that never fails to excite you?
- What is the biggest sexual turn off for you that can totally hose down an evening?
- What is the one intimate gift that you would like to give your partner and receive from your partner?
- Were you ever caught watching/reading/viewing adult content, narrate the incident?
- If your partner can be x years older or x years younger than you, who’d you pick?
- If you are invited to be on The Bachelor/Bachelorette, with only 5 prospective brides/grooms, who would you choose to be in this group of 5 and who would eventually win you over?
- 50 shades of grey vs. pretty woman vs. 91/2 weeks (for those who remember that movie), which was/is the hottest movie according to you?
- Have you found a person of the same sex (or of the opposite sex) attractive? Frame this one as per the sexual orientation of the person.
- What type of scent do you like on a man/woman?
- What is the first thing you notice about a man/woman?
- What is the craziest thing you know about sex?
- Have you ever flirted with the wife/partner/girlfriend of someone you know?
Road Trip Questions For Married Couples – Grow Closer As You Get Closer To Your Destination
Here goes the list of meaningful conversations to bring you closer to each other:
- What was the scariest thing you ever did?
- What are the 5 things that you are grateful for in life?
- How do you reward yourself for a job well done (no matter what the job is)?
- What aspect of growing old scares you and why?
- What was the New Year’s resolution that you could not keep and why?
- If you had the power to do anything in the world, what would you do?
- What are your 3 best memories?
- What was the first thing you noticed about me?
- Where do you see us 5 years down the line?
- If you could change one thing about me, what would it be? (Ask this one at your own risk and keep an open mind about it).
- What is the one thing that you would change about us as a couple?
- What do you think we can do to have more fun or to live at least a little like the way we used to in our younger days?
- I am your genie for the week and have granted you three wishes, what will you ask for?
- What is the one thing that you’d like to ask me but haven’t asked so far?
- How would you respond if there is a sudden change in my appearance? (hair going gray, weight change, different hair style , etc)
- I want to support you in everything you do, what should I do/change to support you more?
- What are your plans/goals for retirement?
- You know I love you, but what can I do that will show you how much I love you?
- What is 2 non-sexual things that you enjoy doing with me?
- If you are asked to describe our relationship in 3 words, what would they be?
Fun Road Trip Questions For Couples – When Was The Last Time The Two Of You Talked So Much Or Laughed So Hard?
Get ready folks for this is the biggest ever list of “would you” questions and these will get all those non-talkers out there jabbering away.
And boy are they going to make you think things you never waited to consider before! The best part is that many of these would work even if you have the kiddies along for company.
- Would you rather be attacked by a dog or by hornets, why?
- Would you choose bungee jumping or aerobatic flying as your adventure and why?
- Would you rather read a book or watch TV?
- Would you ever go naked in public (if the law were to permit you to do so)?
- Would you pick winter or summer, why?
- Would you choose a dog or a cat as your pet?
- Would you like to be famous if you are given a chance and in what way?
- Would you want to know how you are going to die, explain your answer?
- Would you leave your partner for a celebrity you like, explain your answer?
- Would you rather have more money or more time?
- Would you rather be a medieval king/queen or a regular present day person?
- Would you say the glass is half full or half empty?
- Would you rather invent something that saves lives or be someone who is the first to inhabit a new planet?
- Would you rather only eat spicy food or only bland food all your life?
- Would you rather that you be able to have super human strength or superhuman intelligence?
- Would you rather be able to fly or be able to read people’s mind?
- Would you rather live without your cell phone or without the internet for a week?
- Would you rather be good-looking and stupid or not so good looking and intelligent?
- Would you rather give up coke forever or drink only coke for the rest of your life?
- Would you give up jealousy or anger?
- Would you choose superhuman hearing or superhuman sight?
- If you can no longer live on the ground, would you rather be a sea dweller or a sky dweller?
- Would you pick family or friends?
- Would you be a celebrity whose family hates him/her or a regular person whose family loves him/her?
- If you are asked to choose, would you rather go to the center of the earth or to Mars?
- Would you rather work 12 hour days 4 days a week or 6 hour days 7 days a week?
- Would you choose limitless intelligence or movie star good looks?
- Would you choose a bad date with a good friend or a good date with your worst enemy?
- Would you rather be super healthy till you die or super rich till you die?
- Would you rather have the ability to move small to medium sized things with your mind or the super human physical strength to move large things?
- If you are asked to choose, would you like to stay in a scorching hot location or a freezing cold area?
- If you have to give up one of your abilities, would you give up your sense of sight or your sense of vision?
- Would you rather see a unicorn or a dragon?
- If you can master one skill, would you want to learn flying or sailing?
- Would you rather be a Nobel Prize winning scientist or a world renowned artist?
- If you must get stuck in a building for the night, would you rather it be the museum or the mall?
- Would you rather meet the Queen of England or the First lady?
- If you must suffer it, would you choose a sunburn or a frostbite?
- Would you choose the cheapest fast food joint or an all-you-can eat $10 buffet?
- Would you choose to have the skill to be a top NBA player or the mental acumen needed to be a millionaire businessman?
Road Trip Questions For Couples: The Last Question Will Be “Are We There Already?”
Well folks, it goes without saying that these questions are meant to bring out your risqué side. So, leave these for when you are travelling as a two-some.
Also, these questions are meant to take you back to your flirty days and to infuse a renewed sense of excitement in your present day intimate life.
Hence, the answers are cues to learn about what your partner wants and certainly not meant to offend you. If you are easily slighted or not open to improvement/change, then these may not work for you.
Having said that, no matter how young/old your relationship, every couple can use a few embers of passion to bring back the flames into the bedroom, and these road trip questions will do just that. So, here they are for you…
- What are your top 3 fantasies that you’d like fulfilled?
- Where on your body would you like me to touch you more?
- What do you think about intimate toys and which ones would you like to try out?
- Have you recently watched or read something that turned you on? If yes, tell me what it was all about?
- How do we turn up the adventure in our intimate lives?
- What can I do outside the bedroom that will help us to enhance intimacy?
- Where do you like to touch me the most and why?
- Do you think we are physical enough/what can we do to increase physical intimacy?
- When do you feel the closest to me? When have you felt really close to me?
- If we could stop the car right now and kiss, where would you like me to kiss you?
- Right now, as you drive/sit next to me, what is the one thing that you are missing about me the most?
- What would you like me to do to you the next time we are together?
- When was the last time I made you really happy?
- I want to be a better partner to you, tell me how to do that?
- What is the one outfit that I wear, which gets you all hot and bothered and why?
- Do you want next time to be fast and hard or soft and gentle?
- Pretend we have gone back in time to our dating days, what pics would you send me on the phone?
- What was the most erotic dream you have had recently?
- What was a movie scene that you watched recently that got you hot?
- When was the last time you felt turned on at a public place and what brought on the effect?
Just A Few Things That You Need To Remember!
Regardless of the questions that you choose, all of them are meant to spur fun and quality conversations.
If you see that your attempts at a conversation are not yielding the desired effects or if your questions are bringing back monosyllabic answers from one particular person, it would be best to respect this individual’s wish to be left alone with his/her thoughts.
That said, try not to turn these into an interrogation. So, if it is a journey that is going to take a few hours, alternate the Q n A sessions with other fun games to keep things exciting.
Finally, as much as a good conversation is needed to turn a monotonous journey into a fun and memorable trip, make sure that the banter does not distract the driver.
In fact, I strongly suggest that you stop the chitchat the second you hit a rough patch on the road or when the person driving needs to focus on the road completely because of tricky bends and turns or traffic problems.